The Top 10 Resources for Social Media News and Updates
In the world of social media, changes can and do happen at a blistering pace. Unless your full-time job is to track social media news trends and updates, trying to keep up with all of the latest happenings in the social media arena can prove to be quite difficult, if not impossible. For this reason, it’s much better to have a stable of online resources to refer to in order to keep yourself in the know. Below is a list of the top 10 social media news resources available on the Web:
1. Social Times – Social Times provides a daily Social Media Newsfeed that keeps readers informed about the latest happenings in the world of Facebook and Twitter, as well as other prominent social networking sites like Instagram and Google+. Much of the corporate activity of these companies is covered on Social Times, including major events such as mergers, acquisitions and IPOs.
2. Mashable – Although Mashable is a huge site encompassing several major channels including business, technology and entertainment, they have devoted a sizable segment of their online real estate to the world of social media. Mashable specializes featuring breaking social media news, as well as various oddities and humorous happenings in the world of social networking.
3. Digital Trends – Digital Trends is another megasite that offers news and tech product reviews, but they have a specific social media portal within their site that includes trending news for all kinds of social media events and happenings.
4. Social Media Today – Social Media Today is an online community that specializes in featuring social media news for marketing, advertising and PR professionals across many disciplines. Their emphasis is on highlighting the latest platforms, applications, tools, companies and personalities that drive the social media space.
5. Social Bakers – For the number-crunchers among us, Social Bakers is a gold mine of vital statistics and monitoring tools for top social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google+. They also offer important social media statistics for various popular marketing verticals including health, beauty, automotive and fashion.
6. Social Media Examiner – Social Media Examiner holds the title of the world’s largest social media magazine, boasting an email distribution list of more than 225,000 subscribers. Social Media Examiner also hosts a popular podcast known as the Social Media Marketing Podcast, which ranks on the top 10 list of iTunes podcasts in the Marketing category.
7. AllFacebook – As you can probably guess by its name, AllFacebook concentrates primarily on news and events happening within the world of Facebook. AllFacebook has termed itself the “Unofficial Facebook Blog,” providing a plethora of insights, trends and updates regarding the world’s largest social network.
8. AllTwitter – Similar to AllFacebook above (and owned by the same company, MediaBistro), AllTwitter refers to itself as the “Unofficial Twitter Resource,” keeping track of all of the latest events and updates regarding everyone’s favorite microblogging site.
9. Social Media on Forbes – Although Forbes is primarily known for being a business and investing portal, they have an entire section of their website devoted to the latest social media happenings. Most of the social media news and articles published on Forbes focus on the corporate side of the world’s largest social networking sites (i.e., earnings, share performance, mergers and acquisitions, etc.).
10. Social Media on Bloomberg – Bloomberg is a huge site covering all aspects of the economic spectrum, and as such, it has reserved a section of its vast digital domain for news and updates regarding social media. Bloomberg primarily focuses on how business and market forces intersect with the social media landscape.
When it comes to social media research, there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. Having the above sites bookmarked in your browser will keep the latest news and trends regarding social media right at your fingertips.